Will Salem’s Lot See Light of Day?

Written in 1975, Stephen King’s horror novel “Salem’s Lot” is about a writer who returns to his hometown in Maine and discovers its residents are becoming vampires. It was first adapted in 1979 into a two-part TV miniseries directed by the legendary Tobe Hooper. In 2004, TNT adapted the book into a new two-part miniseries starring Rob Lowe.

Most recently, a new adaption of the book went into development back in 2019 and shot in Massachusetts in 2021. A theatrical release was once planned for September 2022, and then Warner Bros. pushed the film to Spring 2023 “due to Covid-related delays in the post-production realm.” It was then scheduled to be a streaming-only release on Max, supposedly due to the writers and actors strikes and the lack of new content. Then, the studio removed the movie from its schedule entirely.

Well, the author of the original novel is now calling out Warner Bros. for not having released the film. Horror master King took to social media to share his thoughts that he had seen the film and was pleased with it.

“Between you and me, Twitter, I’ve seen the new SALEM’S LOT and it’s quite good,” King shared on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter. “Old-school horror filmmaking: slow build, big payoff. Not sure why WB is holding it back; not like it’s embarrassing, or anything. Who knows. I just write the fucking things.”

And if need any other assurances that the delay is not probably related to the quality of the film, the remake is directed by Gary Dauberman, who wrote the most recently “It” films, as well as several “Annabelle” movies. He also directed 2019’s “Annabelle Comes Home.”

The latest adaption of Salem’s Lot—if we’re ever able to see it—stars Lewis Pullman (Bill Pullman’s son), Alfre Woodard, and others.

Coyote vs. Acme, the live-action/animated hybrid that stars Will Forte, John Cena, and the “Looney Tunes” gang, had been earmarked for demolition on Nov. 9. But following a firestorm of outrage, Warner Bros. walked back its initial decision. The studio would give the filmmakers the chance to shop it around.

And according to several people familiar with the situation, Netflix, Amazon and Paramount screened the movie (which was received well) and submitted handsome offers. Paramount even proposed a theatrical release component to their proposed acquisition of the film.

But Warner Bros., which stood to make $35 – $40 million on the tax write-down, wanted something in the ballpark of $75 – $80 million from a buyer. And what’s more, they wouldn’t allow the interested studios to counter Warner Bros.’ offer. It was a “take it or leave it” situation, one that the other studios didn’t even know they were entering into. insiders told TheWrap.

What makes the situation even more appalling is that, according to a source close to the project, the four Warner Bros. executives responsible for making this decision haven’t seen the finished movie. And CEO and president of Warner Bros. Discovery David Zaslav has never seen the movie at all.

Per ToonHive, the most recent uncertainty regarding the film prompted a response from Looney Tunes franchise voice actor Eric Bauza, who voiced Wile E. Coyote and other characters in the film. Before awarding a prize at this year’s Annie Awards, Bauza (or more properly Bugs and Daffy) sought to rally support for the film.

After Bugs points out Daffy lost the lead role in The Boy and the Heron, was cut from Migration, and was dumped by Taylor Swift for Travis Kelce, Daffy said, “Release Coyote v. Acme!”

Deadline: Stephen King Calls Out Warner Bros.

Deadline: Coyote v. Acme Update

Facebook
Twitter

MORE NEWS

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F Easter Eggs

Recorded before a live Facebook (and YouTube) audience, Will, Kat and Jon discuss current 1980s news including: 0:00 – Introduction 4:00 –